The mission of the City of Freeport is to provide sound municipal leadership and efficient, high quality services that enhance the safety, economic prosperity, quality of life, and public health of our community.
The City of Freeport operates under the Managerial form of government, which is described in Article 5 of the Illinois Municipal Code.
Alderpersons hold office for four years, until their successors are elected and qualified. Alderpersons now in office shall continue for the remainder of their respective term to which they were elected. The number of alderman can be changed by a referendum to provide for one alderman from each ward or a combination of at-large aldermen plus one from each ward. The City of Freeport has eight aldermen, one alderman from each of the City's seven wards and one at-large alderman.
The City Council appoints the City Manager, who is the administrative head of City government and who is responsible for the efficient administration of all departments. The City Manager may at any time be removed from office by a majority vote of the members of the City Council. The powers and duties of the City Manager include:
(1) To enforce the laws and ordinances within the City;
(2) To appoint and remove all directors of departments, except as otherwise provided for by statute;
(3) To exercise control of all departments and divisions thereof created under Article 5, or that may be created by the City Council;
(4) To attend all meetings of the City Council with the right to take part in the discussions, but with no right to vote;
(5) To recommend to the City Council for adoption such measures as he/she may deem necessary or expedient;
(6) To perform such other duties as may be prescribed by Article 5 or may be required of him/her by ordinance or resolution of the City Council.
The Mayor is elected at large to a four-year term, as are the City C lerk and City Treasurer. Unless specifically provided otherwise by statute, other offices (and vacancies in those offices) which are not to be appointed by the City Manager, are filled by appointment by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the City Council.
Freeport City Hall