The Public Works Department began the community-wide leaf pickup October 13 and will end November 25, 2020.
- Only leaves are accepted. Please do not place any grass clippings, yard waste, sticks, brush, or trash in the leaf pile. These items can damage the collection equipment; If such waste is placed curbside city crews will refuse collection.
- Please do not park vehicles on or immediately next to leaf pile.
- Please do not cover storm sewer grate with leaves.
- Leaves must be placed in a continuous row at the curb line.
The fall leaf collection program is designed to prevent storm sewer backup and reduce accidents due to slippery pavements. Historically, the program was put in place to remove the leaves that had fallen from City trees along the parkways only. However, past and current administrations have allowed residents of the City to place leaves from trees on private property at the curb for removal also. With stricter EPA requirements, this practice may end in the near future. City crews start the leaf collection program in the fall. Notices are posted in the newspaper and announcements are run on local radio stations when the program begins. Weather events of the current season dictate the start of the pick up and the program ends after the first snow fall occurs that requires plowing. All leaves that remain on the street after the first plow-able snow fall are the responsibility of the resident. The City of Freeport does not pick up leaves or grass clippings in the spring or summer months.
The City of Freeport has an annual leaf collection program but this program runs only in the fall. For spring clean-up, you must sign up for landscape waste subscription.
If you have questions, please call the Public Works Department at 815.235.8210.
Landscape Waste Program
The Landscape Waste Program runs from the spring to mid-November. Please contact the haulers to determine which one serves your area. Freeport uses two waste haulers:
- Gill’s Freeport Disposal – phone 815-233-5644 (open 8am to 4:30 pm)
- Moring Disposal – phone 815-233-9216 (open 7am to 4:30 pm)
Disclaimer: Links on this page may take you to pages that contain a City of Freeport form or document. Please note that these pages also contain drop-down menus that allow you to “Send Feedback”. Please note that these “Send Feedback” functions are directed to 3rd party sites and not to the City of Freeport. If you have any feedback intended for the City of Freeport, please contact the City directly.