Contractor License Application and Letter
All contractor licenses expire December 31 of their respective year.
In order to keep your file active and in compliance, you will need to return your paperwork and renewal fee to the Department of Community and Economic Development no later than December 31 of each year.
Please note: Once your registration with the City has lapsed the renewal fee increases and re-testing (HVAC & ELEC) will be required. **
The federal law, effective October 1, 2010, requires contractors who perform renovation, repairs and painting jobs in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities to be certified and to use lead-safe work practices. Information is available at www.epa.gov
REMEMBER TO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
In order to process your application, a complete packet is needed. You will need to submit all documents each application. Even if you submitted them for a prior year.
- Complete the application and signature
- Affidavit of Exemption (if you are exempt from IL Workers Compensation coverage law)
- Certificate of Liability Insurance with the City of Freeport being listed as a Certificate Holder
- Copy of any state licenses (i.e., Roofing, Plumbing)
- EPA Lead Certificate/or Asbestos Certificate
- Check or Credit Card for renewal
The “initial” fee
- General Contractor, Roofing, Signs, & Misc. $220
- Electric, HVAC and Boiler (non-licensed plumber) $294**
- Plumbing No Fee
If you renew your contractor license for the next year, before December 31 of the current year, the renewal fee is as follows.
- General Contractor, Roofing, Signs, & Misc. $110
- Electric, HVAC and Boiler (non-licensed plumber) $147**
- Plumbing No Fee
In order to process your application a complete packet is needed at time of renewal. You will need to submit all documents each year, even if you submitted them for a prior year.
National Electric Code Updated from 2011 to 2017
On September 20, 2021, the Freeport City Council adopted the 2017 National Electric Code. Effective September 30, 2021, all expired Electrical Contractors will have to re-test and all plans/permits will have to be prepared in compliance with these standards.
Community Development Department – including Building Forms – Return to: 314 W. Stephenson Street, Suite 100, Freeport IL 61032 Any questions, please call 815-235-8202.
Disclaimer: Links on this page may take you to pages that contain a City of Freeport form or document. Please note that these pages also contain drop-down menus that allow you to “Send Feedback”. Please note that these “Send Feedback” functions are directed to 3rd party sites and not to the City of Freeport. If you have any feedback intended for the City of Freeport, please contact the City directly.