City of Freeport
The City of Freeport is looking for a full-time Communications Director. Under the direction of the City Manager, the Communications Director is responsible for the content development across multiple platforms; maintaining and updating the City’s websites; and updating and maintain the City’s marketing plan, including managing the social media outlets.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides leadership and researches and recommends best practices for City communication efforts with a wide variety of audiences to support governmental transparency and improve information flow between the City, citizens, stakeholders and City employees.
- Performs professional public relations duties coordinating the timely development, administration and release of information regarding a wide range of City programs and services to foster and improve media and community relations throughout Freeport and the Northern Illinois region.
- Cultivates effective working relationships with reporters, editors, and producers in the print and electronic media on national, regional, and local levels.
- Reviews, edits and produces communication materials with internal departments, including: Preparing news releases; drafting speeches, remarks, and comments; hosting press conferences; conducting media interviews; shooting and editing video; developing public service announcements; and proclamations; taking photographs; and/or performing other related activities.
- Coordinates and publicizes special events, public education opportunities, news conferences, town hall meetings, and/or other public events designed to promote the City. Maintains a high level of visibility within the community and attends special events, community meetings, ribbon cuttings, grand openings, and other related community events.
- Designs and produces the Community Newsletter.
- Manages and updates the City websites including monitoring website’s performance and user accessibility. Administers all City of Freeport social media and provides oversight and direction for all departmental social media sites including Fire and Police.
- Serves as Public Information Office in emergency situations.
The qualified candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a concentration in communications, public relations, journalism, English, business administration, public administration or closely related field; Master’s degree in a related field preferred; Minimum three (3) years of significant experience in communications for a governmental body, not-for-profit organization or private sector required; Governmental experience preferred; exceptional writing and English grammar skills, required; video editing and photography skills preferred.
The starting salary range for this exempt, salaried position is $54,000-$58,000 annually with an excellent benefit package that includes health, dental and vision insurance, plus and IMRF pension. Please email cover letters and resumes to the Human Resource Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until position is filled. The City of Freeport is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon any status protected under local, state or federal law.
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
Street Maintenance Trainee
The City of Freeport is hiring for a full-time Street Maintenance Trainee who under the direction of the Street Foreman and/or Forestry Foreman will perform a variety of operations related to street division duties. This position will do related work required including operation of all equipment.
The successful candidate will have a High School Diploma or GED (or be able to obtain one within 90 days of hire), a valid Class B CDL with Air Brake Endorsement (or ability to obtain a permit within 90 days of hire), construction experience related to Civil Engineering projects, strong knowledge of safety practices for construction work, and skilled in the operation and maintenance of assigned equipment.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Participates in construction & maintenance projects for city properties
- Snow plowing, hauling and leaf collection & disposal.
- Follows safety regulations and safety policies. Complies with work rules in the performance of duties. Inspects and tests equipment to verify conformance with safety guidelines.
- Operates end loaders, backhoes, excavators, dump trucks, rollers, mowers, as well as limb chipper, power saws, and various tree trimming equipment.
- Responds to citizen complaints and after hour service requests, as well as being subject to emergency call-in for operational or weather emergencies
Starting salary is $19.53 per hour with an excellent benefit package that includes IMRF pension, health insurance and more. Candidates should email their application or resume, email@example.com.
The City of Freeport is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon any status protected under local, state or federal laws. We welcome a diverse workforce.
Instrumentation & Control Technician/Electrician
The City of Freeport is looking for an Instrumentation & Control Technician/Electrician in their Water and Sewer Division. Under the direction of the Utility Superintendent and Maintenance Foreman, this position inspects, troubleshoots, and repairs various types of electrical, electronic, and mechanical equipment, devices and instrumentation. This position is subject to emergency call-ins.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the maintenance and troubleshooting of 480-volt three phase motors and controls, including VFD’s and PLC’s, including input/output digital and analog loop control devices. Duties also include performing preventive maintenance on all electrical, electronic, pneumatic, and mechanical equipment including pumps, compressors, aerating blowers, augers, gear reducers, and HVAC units, as wells as performing other general maintenance as required.
The qualified candidate will possess a High School Diploma or GED, valid Driver’s License, and 5 years’ verifiable experience in heavy industrial environmental and water/wastewater instrumentation and controls, with a working knowledge of SCADA control systems is required. Above average computer skills are necessary.
The starting salary for this position is $23.43 per hour with an excellent benefit package that includes health, dental and vision insurance, plus and IMRF pension. Applications can be obtained at City Hall located at 314 W. Stephenson Street or via this link. Resumes and/or applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Completed applications and/or resumes may be emailed to the Human Resource Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Water & Sewer Construction System Worker 1
The City of Freeport, IL is looking for a full-time Water & Sewer Construction System Worker I in our Public Works Department. This position will participate in the construction, inspection, maintenance and repair of the water & sewer system and associated facilities.
Minimum qualifications for this position a High school diploma or GED; knowledge of construction, maintenance and repair on water or sewer systems, plumbing or a related field; ability to operate and maintain a variety of special equipment; basic knowledge of IDOL, IDOT, and OSHA safety rules and of laws or ordinances relating to this position; and construction related computer skills including database searches, Word, Excel, etc.
Qualified applicants must have or be able to obtain a CDL with air brake endorsement within 90 days of hire and be available for emergency call-in for operational or system problems and after hours service requests. Must be willing and able to work outside during extreme weather conditions. Preference will be given to applicants with experience working on water or sewer systems, plumbing or a related field. Applicants must be willing to live within 20 miles of City Yards within 4 months of hire.
Starting wage is $20.19 per hour. The City of Freeport offers a benefit package that includes an IMRF pension, health insurance and more.
For consideration, please submit an applications and/or resume to the City of Freeport HR Manager at email@example.com, or drop off at 314 W. Stephenson St. Freeport, IL. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Disclaimer: The City of Freeport is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon any status protected under local, state or federal laws. We welcome a diverse workforce.
Links on this page may take you to pages that contain a City of Freeport form or document. Please note that these pages also contain drop-down menus that allow you to “Send Feedback”. Please note that these “Send Feedback” functions are directed to 3rd party sites and not to the City of Freeport. If you have any feedback intended for the City of Freeport, please contact the City directly.