CITY OF FREEPORT – POLICE DEPARTMENT
Invites Applications for the Position of
The City of Freeport is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Police Officer – entry level and lateral officer.
Applicants must be 21 years of age at the time of application and must possess a valid driver’s license and not have been convicted of any felonies or serious misdemeanors. Must be willing to work nights, weekends and holidays, and must live within or be willing to relocate within a 25 mile radius of the Police Department within 30 days of completion of probationary period.
Invitations to attend a mandatory orientation, physical agility and written examination will be sent to those candidates whose applications have been accepted. The State of Illinois Power Test will be conducted at this time – lateral transfers exempt.
The application deadline for Freeport Police Officer testing for this cycle expires April 27, 2021.
Link to application: here
Police Social Worker
The City of Freeport, an historic community in northwest Illinois, is looking for its first ever Police Social Worker. The primary responsibility of the Police Social Worker is the administration, coordination and delivery of the Department’s social services.
The successful candidate will possess a Master’s degree in Social Work or Counseling and be an Illinois Licensed Social Worker, Professional Counselor or equivalent, through the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Accreditation.
This position requires 2 years of experience in social work, with good clinical skills, working with juvenile and elderly populations, DCFS knowledge, and domestic violence and crisis intervention experience.
The Police Social Worker must be able communicate information effectively, both verbally and in writing, and is responsible for maintaining a working knowledge of Neighborhood Based Policing philosophy, focusing upon citizen and customer satisfaction.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and deliver crisis intervention services when called upon.
- Coordinate and deliver short-term counseling and supporting services.
- Provide victim and witness court advocacy and assist victims and witnesses with applying for available assistance.
- Maintain current knowledge of police activity.
- Maintain a working relationship with other mental health professionals and social service agencies serving the Freeport area.
- Maintain a working relationship with schools and community resources.
- Promptly follow up Police Social Worker Referrals and provide feedback to the referring officer.
- Maintain thorough case files of all cases worked.
- Produce written reports as directed by the Chief of Police or as required in the course of handling cases.
- Coordinate, prepare and deliver public speaking engagements as scheduling will permit.
Starting salary range is $53,000 to $63,000 DOQ, with an excellent benefit package, including IMRF retirement. Candidates should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until position is filled.
Lateral Transfer Applications – Return to 320 W. Exchange St. Freeport IL 61032. Any questions, please call 815-235-8222
Social Worker Applications – Return to 314 W. Stephenson St. Freeport IL 61032. Any questions, please call 815-235-2065
Disclaimer: Links on this page may take you to pages that contain a City of Freeport form or document. Please note that these pages also contain drop-down menus that allow you to “Send Feedback”. Please note that these “Send Feedback” functions are directed to 3rd party sites and not to the City of Freeport. If you have any feedback intended for the City of Freeport, please contact the City directly.