Earth Day, April 22nd
Every day is Earth Day, but every April 22nd, we slow down a little bit and celebrate the planet we live on. Did you know:
- Nearly 97% of the world’s water is salty or otherwise undrinkable. Another 2% is locked in ice caps and glaciers. That leaves just 1% for all of humanity’s needs — all its agricultural, residential, manufacturing, community, and personal needs.
- Every day in the US, we drink about 110 million gallons of water a day.
- The average American uses 140-170 gallons of water daily
- You can refill an 8 oz glass of water approximately 15,000 times for the same cost as a 6 pack of soda.
- A dairy cow must drink 4 gallons of water to produce one gallon of milk.
- A gallon of gas takes nearly 13 gallons of water to produce.
Disclaimer: Links on this page may take you to pages outside of the City’s website. Please note that these pages may contain functions that allow you to “Send Feedback” or to post comments/questions. Please note that these functions may be directed to third party sites and not to the City of Freeport. If you have any feedback intended for the City of Freeport, please contact the City directly.